Celebrate Earth Day!
Earth Day has been celebrated every April 22nd across the country since 1970, and thanks to grassroots organizations and individuals like you it has expanded to a global movement! If you are wondering how you can make a difference, here are a few of our favorite and fun ways to celebrate the Earth!
1. Take a hike. Celebrate Earth Day by lacing up your hiking boots and getting some fresh air! Experiencing the beauty of nature first hand will inspire you to reduce, reuse and recycle.
2. Start a garden. Transporting vegetables across the country uses an extreme amount of fossil fuels. You can skip all that by growing your own food. Even if you are low on space, many vegetables and herbs can be grown in containers on a small patio.
3. Do a home energy audit. Sometimes we don’t realize how much energy we are actually using around our homes. By unplugging small appliances and chargers when not in use, changing lightbulbs to CFLs and adjusting your thermostat a few degrees can save a lot of energy (and money) over the course of a year.
4. Help at your local community garden. Volunteer to weed, harvest, or donate gardening supplies.
5. Pick up trash around your community or street. There can be quite a bit of litter along suburban streets. Grab a trash sack and take a quick walk to clean up your streets. You will get some exercise and your neighbors will thank you!
6. Plant a tree. Seems like a cliché but trees improve air quality by removing pollution from the atmosphere and they provide homes for wildlife.
7. Clean out closet and donate. It takes a lot of energy to produce clothing and the more we share and recycle our garments the more energy we save.
8. Go dark for a day. Challenge yourself to a day of ZERO screen time and limit the amount of electricity you use. It’s just one day…..you can do it!!
Posted on Wed, April 18, 2018
by Bonnie Skaggs